Breast Cancer Diagnosis




Here is a quick synopsis of events thus far. I plan to write more about my journey, emotions and these events in greater detail in other entries.

About a month ago, I felt a lump in my left breast. I told my husband and burst into tears. But immediately, I thought, "There's no way. This is silly." I had started working out and thought I must have strained a muscle or something.

We went on vacation the first full week of August but when we returned home, I noticed the lump hadn't gone away. I had a physical scheduled for August 29th and thought it could wait until then. Thankfully, I spoke with my mom and she encouraged me to call my gynecologist. They wanted me to come in that day.

Tuesday, August 14: Went to the gynecologist. They felt fairly certain it was a cyst, but had me set up an appointment for a mammogram and ultrasound, just to be sure.

Tuesday, August 21: My 32nd birthday. Went to the imaging center for a mammogram and ultrasound. After multiple images were taken and examined, the doctor informed me they could not rule out cancer and they would like to perform a biopsy. They had a cancellation and were able to get me in just a few minutes later.

The results of the ultrasound showed an irregular growth that was 2.6 cm at it's largest point.

Monday, August 27th: Ricky and I had just returned the night before from an out of town wedding. I was trying to catch up on some sleep when I was woken up by a phone call from the imaging center. They had my results and wanted me to come in at 10:30 am. I was able to push it back to 3:30 pm. The imaging center had told me their policy was for the patient to come in regardless of whether it was good or bad news so I wasn't too concerned.

When we arrived at the center, several things happened that alerted me to the fact that I would not be getting good news.

My doctor was incredibly sweet but she told me there was no easy way to say it -- my biopsy had returned positive; I had breast cancer.

Wednesday, August 29th: Ricky and I met with a potential surgeon, who went over my results in greater detail. I was told chemotherapy would be the first thing done for treatment.

Thursday, August 30th: I had an MRI scan to check my breasts in greater detail. The surgeon also ordered a CT scan to check my chest, abdomen and pelvis.

Shortly after, I received a phone call from the imaging center that my MRI results were in and they needed to do another ultrasound of my left breast.

Friday, August 31st: I went in for another ultrasound. They confirmed there was another mass in my left breast that was about a 1/2 inch. They needed to perform another biopsy.

That brings us to today ... It is a long weekend and I don't expect to hear any results until at least Tuesday. I have several more appointments over the next two weeks, after which I hope to have a better idea of my treatment regimen and schedule.

This has been an incredibly fast moving process and that is why I wanted to get these initial details out as soon as I could.

A couple of things I wanted to note:

All of the doctors and nurses I have worked with have been incredible. I am so grateful for their fast, thorough and sensitive approach to my case.

My family and friends have been beyond amazing. The have been supporting me physically, emotionally and spiritually.

Thank you to my husband. You have always been my rock. I could not do this without you by my side. I love you forever.

Mom and Dad - Thank you for coming over to my house right after I received my diagnosis. Thank you for praying with me and for me. Thank you for crying with me and laughing with me. Thank you for holding unswervingly to the hope we have. Thank you for bringing me to appointments, going to a breast cancer support center to get me information, for cleaning my house, for texting me, calling me and visiting me. I love you both and I am blessed to have you as my parents!

My sisters - Thank you for dropping everything and coming to be with me after my diagnosis. Thank you for encouraging me, loving me and being the best sisters a girl could ask for. I love you both more than you will ever know.

The rest of my family - Thank you for your texts, phone calls, videos, pictures, hugs, flowers, cards and time. You have no idea what each of these things have meant to me. I am so lucky to have all of you!

To my dear friend and his wife: Thank you for your friendship. I am so grateful that God had our paths cross once again. You are both some of the most loving, beautiful and encouraging people I have had the pleasure of knowing.

The rest of my friends - Thank you for your texts. Thank you for your prayers. Thank you for walking through this with me.

I will keep you updated as I can.

All my love,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

V is for Very Bald

"I come, I kill, I leave" and other words of wisdom to chemo by